BREAKING: Jets Release Darrelle Revis Amid Robbery and Assault Charges

Tuesday evening, the New York Jets announced that the team will release seven-time Pro Bowler Darrelle Revis. Earlier this month, Revis, 31, was involved in an altercation with a two young men in the Pittsburgh area that lead the pro bowler to turn himself in after a number of charges were filed. Charges that included robbery, terrorist threats, conspiracy and aggravated assault.

The Jets released this statement on the release of Revis,

“Darrelle Revis is one of the greatest players to ever wear a Jets uniform,” said Jets owner Woody Johnson. “His combination of talent, preparation and instincts is rare and helped him become one of the most dominant players of his generation. I appreciate Darrelle’s contributions to this organization and, wherever his career takes him, his home will always be here with the Jets.”

“When you’re dealing with a player of Darrelle’s caliber, these decisions are extremely hard to make,” said general manager Mike Maccagnan. “We all have a great deal of respect for Darrelle and the significance of his time with the Jets cannot be overstated. He provided an example of how a pro should approach his craft and established his place in NFL history as one of the best at his position.”

Revis was selected No. 14 overall by the Jets in the 2007 NFL Draft. In his professional career, Revis played for a number of teams including the Jets, Buccaneers, and the Patriots. Revis lead the New England Patriots to a Super Bowl XLIV victory over the Seattle Seahawks in 2015. Revis rejoin the Jets after his Super Bowl win in 2015. The seven-time Pro Bowler accomplished a career-high nine takeaways in 2015, leading the NFL with four fumble recoveries while finishing with five interceptions.

Photo Cred: Scott R. Galvin/USA TODAY Sports

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *