Former NBC news anchor Matt Lauer reportedly seeking $30 million amid being fired earlier this week for sexual misconduct, Page Six reported late Thursday.
A source close to Lauer’s team said, “They are currently looking at his contract and determining whether the claims against him, which clearly would affect any moral clause in his contract and his ensuing termination, would cut off his contractual rights to be paid through to the end of his contract.”
Lauer’s contract initially had him at $20 million a year until 2018. However, his contract also specifies that talent can be fired without pay if they bring the company into any disrepute.
Meanwhile a TV insider said, “There is no way Matt is getting paid. There has been an irrevocable breach of Matt’s contract, there is a moral clause that says if he brings the company into disrepute — which he clearly has — NBC can terminate his employment immediately without pay and they do not have to pay out his contract.”
The claims against Mr. Lauer have remained somewhat a mystery with various reports claiming he sexually assaulted a young woman in his office, while others say there was photographic evidence he tried to pursue a young colleague at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.
Lauer has also released a statement apologizing for his bevaior, saying he felt “embarrassed and ashamed.”
“As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC,” Mr. Lauer said. “Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed,” he said.