What in the world? CDC investigators are looking into a case involving a bat that was found inside a bagged salad sold at a Florida Walmart. Without a doubt, a regional recall of the salad has also been initiated.
The bat was found inside of a ‘Organic Marketside Spring Mix’ by two people claiming to already have eaten out of the bag before discovering the disgusting specimen.
After they alerted the authorities, the bat was sent to a CDC rabies lab. Unfortunately, the animal’s decayed state prevented a definitive test of whether it had rabies.
According to The Guardian, transmission by eating an infected animal is “extremely uncommon,” the CDC said in a statement.
As a precautionary method, the two people were recommended for treatment. Neither of the two Floridian people showed any signs of rabies and were both reported in good health. The CDC added that there have been no other “reports of bat material found in packaged salads.”
Experts with the Florida Department of Health, the Federal Food and Drug Administration, and the CDC are all over this investigation trying to figure out how in the world this decayed bat became packaged with the salad.
Fresh Express, the food company whose product contained the bat, issued a limited recall for salads sold in a clear container, with a best-used date of 14 April and the production code G089B19.
The recalled salads were only sold at Walmart stores in the south-eastern US, and the CDC said that all the remaining salad packages from the relevant lot have been removed from store locations.
“Consumers who may have already purchased the recalled product should discard and not consume it,” the CDC said.
The agency said people who had eaten the salad and not found “animal material” were not at risk, and that customers could contact Fresh Express for a full refund.
In a statement, Fresh Express said it “takes matters of food safety very seriously and rigorously complies with all food safety regulation”.
The CDC added a general recommendation: “Anyone who ate the recalled salad product and found animal material in it [should] contact their health department for evaluation.”
How disgusting is this?