Georgia native Khaliah Shaw is suing GlaxoSmithKline after suffering from an anti-seizure drug, which burned 90% of her skin, made her nearly go blind, and rushed her to the hospital where she was placed into a medically-induced coma.
The 26-year-old Georgia College and State University public health graduate was forced to put her studies on hold due to her tragic sudden allergic reaction. In 2013 Shaw was diagnosed with bipolar disease and was prescribed Lamotrigine.
In less than one month of using the drug, Shaw began developing rashes on her face, and the skin on her lips began to peel off. After visiting her local ER, doctors ensured Shaw she was suffering from the flu.
Within the next few days, Shaw woke up with severe pain. The skin on her face, neck, back, and chest was falling off and, her lips were covered in blisters.
“The reaction left her skin permanently scarred, and she is slowly losing her sight.
Now, she and many others are suing GlaxoSmithKline for promoting the product without warnings of the risks, claiming more than $3.45 million in medical costs.
It comes five years after the company shelled out $3 billion in lawsuit for failure to report the drugs risks- before Shaw’s incident.”
Instead of being depressed and feeling sorry for herself, Shaw decided to make a blog (The Journey Of A Butterfly) to educate others about her experience and to motivate people across the world always to keep striving.
On her blog, Shaw goes into great detail about losing her fingernails, going bald, having pink and white patchy skin, and being diagnosed with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (SJS).
SJS is a rare disorder that begins with flu-like symptoms, which is another reason why doctors mistook Shaw’s allergic reaction for the flu.
Even though Shaw has to attend many therapy and doctor session and wear sunglasses, life is still optimistic. Her hair is finally growing back, and her blogging has aided in the return to her old life.
Click the video below to watch Khaliah Shaw spread awareness of SJS: